Sertraline was first discovered and developed by the researchers at Pfizer. You might have heard of Zoloft and Lustral. Sertraline was marketed under the brand name Zoloft in the United States and Lustral in the United Kingdom. It was first approved by the FDA in 1991 for the treatment of depression.
Since then, it was found that Sertraline can treat a variety of mental health conditions. Currently, Sertraline is approved by the FDA for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Major Depressive Disorder (Depression)
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)
- Premenstrual Dysmorphic Disorder (PMDD)
In fact, Sertraline was the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medication in the United States in 2018.